Monday 24 October 2011

Volcano

For my second model, I wanted to create a Volcano as the setting of my animation was based on the Volcanic planet of Mustafar. 

To start making my Volcano, I created a basic cone but without the top vertex so it wasn't pointed. I created it quite wide and not too tall so it was a very very basic volcano shape.


I then right clicked on the cone and chose 'Convert To' and 'Editable Poly'. I inserted a vertex at the very top of the cone in the centre using the 'Insert' option in the menu. I then chose 'Polygon' in the 'Editable Poly' drop down menu. I clicked the top centre of the cone and under the 'Edit Polygon' menu on the right, I chose the 'Bevel' option. 


This option created an indent in the top of the cone, which was to be the inside of the volcano. 


Now that I had the basic volcano shape, I decided the shape needed to me messed up a bit to make it more rough and edgy looking so it looked more realistic, as a real volcano wouldn't have really smooth straight edges. 


To create more jagged edges I switched to the 'Vertex' option in the 'Editable Poly' drop down menu. I carefully selected different vertex's and moved them about slightly using the 'Select and Move' tool. I made slight indents around the Volcano and moved points to make some sharp edges as well. I also moved some vertex's at the very top of the cone as well so it was slightly more pointy and jagged, rather than perfectly round and smooth.


No comments:

Post a Comment