Wednesday 16 November 2011

Adding Lava textures and Further Effects

As I had now completed my lava texture in Photoshop, I wanted to add it to the lava plane I had already created. I did this by opening up the 'Material Editor'.

On the 'Diffuse' option, under the Blinn Parameters, I clicked the small grey box next to it, selected the 'Bitmap' option and then chose the coloured height map image. I then clicked the icon near the top to apply the image to the plane.


I was pretty happy with how the lava came out, especially on the higher points of the lava with the black and bright orange contrast, which looks really effective and stands out.


However, I still thought there was something missing. I thought the lava looked too smooth. I wanted to make it look more dynamic, like it was moving and to add the aspect of danger.
After going through several different effects to see which had the best impact, I decided on the 'Noise' modifier, from the 'Modifier List'.


I played around with some of the options to see how they effected the lava. For example, I changed the Strengths of some axis's so it effected them in different ways and changed the 'Scale' of the noise so that it had a greater impact. 

This is how the lava looked after I had finished editing the effects of it:


It now looks like the lava is moving as it has a kind of 'wave' feel about it. It also looks more pointed with jagged edges, so it looks more dangerous than before.

No comments:

Post a Comment