Wednesday 16 November 2011

Using Height Maps in 3dsMax

To begin using the height map I had found, I started by drawing a plane the same size as the image (513x513 pixels). I then changed the number of segments to '400' so that the height map would be more successful when it came to modifying it as the more segments you add, the greater detail you can create.





From the right hand panel, I went to the 'Modify' section and chose the 'Displace' option from the drop down menu.


To begin with, I had to load in the Height Map image. Under the 'Bitmap' section, I clicked on the box and loaded in my height map image. Once I'd done this, I could now begin playing around with the different settings available.


I kept the 'Map' option to 'Planar' as the image was being laid onto a plane. I changed the 'Strength' and 'Decay' options until I got my desired lava look effect. I increased the strength quite high so that the plane became quite pointed and tall, so that it looked more of a dangerous setting.

Here is what the plane looked like after the Height Map and the Displace modifier has been added...



No comments:

Post a Comment