Tuesday 29 November 2011

Texturing My Tie Fighter - Part 2

I now wanted to create a texture for the body sphere of my ship. Before I did this, I needed to create a UV map.

I started by applying a 'UVW map' from the Modifiers list to the sphere, which creates a map of the object.



I then had to add an 'Unwrap UVW' modifier from the Modifiers list to the sphere. This unwraps the map and flattens out the image so I can export it and begin texture it.


On the UVW panel on the right, I then clicked on the 'Open UV Editor' option to open the UV window.


I was then able to render the UV map, which I saved so I could import it into Photoshop. 

Here is what the UV map looked like:



Once I'd imported the UV map of the body sphere into Photoshop, I played around with the image and kept using the Material Editor back in 3dsMax to place the image onto the sphere. I did this because I wanted to establish which part of the UV Map belonged where on the sphere so that I could texture it accordingly.

After I'd figured out which part of the map belonged where on the sphere, I began to start creating my texture. I selected the 'Line' tool at first and made sure it was reasonably thick and chose a dark grey colour from the pallet. I then drew two lines at the top and bottom of the image on the first and third lines on the map. This created two circles at the front and back of the sphere.

I used the Fill tool to now fill in the remaining area of the map with a light grey I had chosen from the colour pallet. This colour would be the main colour of the ship.

I now wanted to add individual lines in between the two top lines to split the circle up into sections. I did this by simply drawing vertical lines at various points along the lines, I tried to make them a fairly equal distance apart but wasn't worried about them being too accurate.

As soon as I'd finished splitting up the lines, I began to create boxes inside each individual section. These boxes were designed to be the windows of the ship. I used the box tool from the panel and used the same dark grey colour that I had been using previously. I then created a box in each section trying to make them roughly the same size from the top and bottom of each. Once I'd finished doing this, I merged all the different layers of lines and boxes together to make it clearer and more organised. I then copied and pasted the layer using the shortcut 'ctrl' + 'c' to copy and 'ctrl' + 'v' to paste it. I then moved the layer directly down in between the bottom two lines, so that the top and bottom both matched each other. This created 'windows' at both the front and back of the sphere.

Now I had finished creating the windows of the ship, I wanted to create a circle on top of the sphere. I started by selecting the 'Ellipse' tool from the panel and then creating a large circle, making sure to hold down the 'Shift' key so that the circle was evenly drawn, on the left side of the image. I positioned the circle so that it was only half visible on the image as I had positioned the other half outside of the image area, and so that it was in the centre of the windows I had created previously. I also filled the circle with the dark grey colour that I had been using previously.

I went on to copy and paste the circle I had just made, and using the 'Transformation' and 'Scale' options from the top menu, I rescaled the circle slightly holding down the 'Shift' key again to make sure it was perfectly round. I made the new circle just a little bit smaller and moved it so that it was positioned evenly within the other circle. I then filled this circle with a lighter grey to contrast the two effectively.

After I had made the two circles, I copied and pasted them and positioned them on the right side of the image now holding down the 'Shift' key so that they stayed aligned. Like before, I only made sure half of the circles were visible.

I now had the basic circle made for the top of the sphere, but I wanted to add in some more detail. I selected the Box tool from the panel again and selected the dark grey colour I had been using. I then created various boxes of different sizes and shapes in both half circles. I did this to add to the mechanical look of the ship and to make it look more authentic.

Additionally, I drew over some of the dark grey boxes, putting a smaller box or thin line within them. For this, I used a light grey colour. I did this just to add a bit more detail to the texture.

Once I had finished making the top circle of the sphere, I now wanted to make the bottom one. Like before, I copied and pasted the two circles I had made originally and positioned them in the centre between the two half circles. However, this time I used the 'Transform - Scale' tool to make the circle slightly more into an oval shape so it would sit appropriately on the sphere and wouldn't look wonky at all.

I then went on to use the Box tool again to create small dark grey boxes within the circle like I had done before. I positioned them randomly in no particular position to again make it look more realistic. I also added smaller light grey boxes and lines within them.

Now that I had completed the detail for both the top and bottom of the sphere. I wanted to add just a little more detail in the remaining space on the map. Because of this, I got the Box tool again and created some dark grey boxes in the empty space left between the windows and the circles.

Here is what the final texture looks like:


Now that the texture for my sphere was complete, I went into 3dsMax and loaded the Material Editor window to load in my texture.



This is what the texture looks like on the sphere:



No comments:

Post a Comment