Wednesday 16 November 2011

Volcano - Importing and Effects

Now that my lava was complete,  I wanted to import the volcano that I had previously made in another file. To do this I went to the 3dsMax icon at the top and chose 'Import' then 'Merge' and selected the file containing my volcano.


Once I'd imported it, it was much bigger in comparison to my lava so I had to resize it. To do this, I selected the volcano, and chose the 'Scale' option at the top. I clicked in the small yellow triangle between all the axis's so that I would rescale all of them equally. I rescaled the volcano accordingly so that it fitted on top of the 'mountain' area of the lava.
I didn't sit my volcano directly on top of the mountain, but had it so that part of it was just underneath it. This allowed parts of the mountain and the lava to peak through the volcano so it looked more rough and eroded, which added to the look of it as it wasn't as smooth.



Now that my volcano was positioned correctly, I wanted to add some effects as I felt it was too smooth in comparison to the rest of the scene and needed roughening up!
I went through different effects and experimented with them until I finally decided on using the 'Quadify Mesh' option from the 'Modifier List'. I chose this one because I felt like it gave me the effect I was looking for. It created indents in the volcano so it looked more eroded and no longer as smooth as it did previously.



I played around with some of the settings to see what each of them did. I eventually got the effect I wanted to make the volcano look more worn and naturalistic by adjusting the Quad Size to 3.5%.

Here's what the volcano looked like after I had finished changing the effects:



No comments:

Post a Comment