Thursday 15 December 2011

Reflective View

Overall I am quite pleased with my final animation. At the beginning of the course I didn't feel very confident with 3ds max at all, let alone the daunting thought of having to animate within it too. However, despite the touchy start I got there eventually.

I can now find my way around the program much easier. Creating my spaceships and scenery really helped me to come to terms with program, such as playing around with the different effects such as the 'Noise' and 'Displace' modifiers to create my volcanic scene. Also, the ability to now be able to use the cameras correctly and using paths as a method of filming is really useful to know.

Animating was quite hard to adjust to at first but the more I animated the more confident and adventurous I became. For example, the start of my animation was just simply moving the camera along the setting, which didn't take too much camera skill to be able to do. However, the later shot of my Tie Fighter that shows the ship at lots of different angles with the camera moving constantly, was a bit more advance. This shot was probably my favourite because it's the most exciting one as it has the constant action of the ship and the camera moving at the same time.

I only wish I had more time to spend on this module and further familiarise myself with the program. I eventually learned to like animating and would've like to have gone on to experiment with the camera angles further.

Something I really enjoyed was texturing my models. I spent quite a while on these and created them all myself. I textured everything using Photoshop and was really pleased at how the Tie Fighter came out especially. The wings looked very identical to how they are on the original, which I was very happy with.


If I was to re do my project again there are a few things I'd like to change...

If I had've had more time I would've liked to have played around with using particles. I watched some tutorials on this such as creating fire and smoke. I would've like to have put some smoke into the scene, coming out of the volcanoes to give them a bit of life. I would've also liked to have incorporated some fire around the lava to make it look more dangerous and made it more exciting. Unfortunately though, I just didn't get enough time to spend on playing around on these to make them look good enough to use.

Another thing I would've liked to have changed was my lava. In the animation I would've liked it to have moved slightly instead of being so still and lifeless. To start with I did accidentally put an animation on the noise modifier, which I wasn't aware of until I had animated it. However, this didn't work well at all. Although, if I had've had more time to fiddle with the effects I might've been able to get it to animate at a more appropriate level so that it only moved subtly.

Also, I would've perhaps liked to have incorporated some use of lasers within my scene, but like before I ran out of time to experiment properly with this. I did look up tutorials as to how to do this, which were very helpful. On the other hand, my scene didn't require the use of lasers in the end as I made the animation more of a build up towards a battle between the ships rather than witnessing one.

Lastly, I would've like to have changed some of the camera angles I'd used, looking back. The scene of the still camera shot with the Headhunter flying I would've really liked to have changed. Parts of the ship flying were fine, but the still camera kind of spoils the shot. If I had had've created a path for the camera too, to move with the ship it would've looked much better because the whole scene would've kept in a constant motion and you would've felt the action more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment