Saturday 10 December 2011

Texturing My headhunter Part 7 - Wing Guns

When creating my UV map for the final part of my ship, the Wing Guns, I looked through some of the different settings that were available when creating the map. I came across a different way of mapping out the UV map so it was more logical to see the different parts of the section. I went to the top menu option called 'Mapping' and selected 'Flatten mapping' option available.



This displayed the different faces of the shape so it was clear which part was what. This would probably have been a better way to map out all of my objects when creating textures for them as it was more clear. However, I had no time to go back and re do all the textures I had created so that they followed this style of mapping instead. Besides, I'd already textured the different sections of the models how i'd wanted them anyway so it was not necessary to re do all my work. 

For the final section of my ship, I decided to use this different style of mapping. Here is what the UV map looked like this time:


Once I'd Imported the texture into Photoshop, I loaded up the metal texture I had been using in a different Photoshop Window. 

To begin with, I got the 'Pen' tool and carefully drew round the first (top) map face of the cylinder. As soon as I had done this I copied it and pasted it into the window with the metal texture in it. I made sure the texture image was selected and copied it so that it would only select the texture within the area I had pasted in. I then pasted the cut out of the texture onto the UV map. It didn't matter that some of the texture spread outside of the green lines as these bits would not be shown anyway. 

As soon as I had the first texture positioned in the correct place, I copied it and pasted it onto the map below as it had the same shape. I then followed the same technique to fill the two remaining faces. 

Now that they all had the basic metal texture on them, I wanted to add some more detail in to make then stand out. For the back half of the cylinder, I got the 'Box' tool and created a reasonably thick long horizontal box in the top texture. I then created a thick vertical box that was positioned going through the middle of the previous box. This created a cross shape. I merged these two boxes together and duplicated the layer three times and positioned them on the other three faces. I thought this would be enough detail for the back as I didn't want to go too overboard. 

After I had completed the texture for the back half of the cylinder, it was now time to create the front half. On the first face, I got the 'Box' tool again and drew three black vertical boxes which I made sure were evenly spaced out.  I then got the 'Line' tool and drew two thin horizontal lines going down the middle, through the vertical lines. I merged these layers and then, like before, I duplicated it three times and positioned them on the remaining faces. This gave a kind of mesh effect going round the cylinder, which I thought looked quite appropriate considering it was a weapon.

On the pointed front part of the cylinder I simply drew a thin black line going along the middle, using the 'Line' tool. I copied and pasted this on all the other faces too. I felt this was just enough detail for such a small part. The line almost created an indent feel on the texture, which added to the weapon style I was going for.

The only parts of the cylinder that remained to be textured was the two ends. For these, I got the 'Brush' tool and selected a vibrant red colour. I then drew around and filled the two end circles. I chose this colour because I wanted to add a slight bit of colour to the texture just to make it stand out. It worked especially well for the front point of the cylinder as the red made it look deadly. For the back larger circle, I got the 'Ellipse' tool and drew a small black circle within the area, and then with the brush tool I made a small red dot in the middle. I did this because I felt leaving this part completely red would be too bland. 

Here is what the final texture looks like:


Here is what the texture looks like on the ship:


No comments:

Post a Comment