Saturday 10 December 2011

Texturing My Headhunter Part 4 - Engine


Once I'd imported the Engine UV into Photoshop, I added the metal texture on to it. 

Firstly, I selected the 'Box' tool and created a thin black box at the very top, that stretched across the image. This would be the part of the engine that connects onto the body of the ship so I wanted to make the join stand out slightly to emphasise the different parts.

Just underneath I drew another thin box, only this time I filled it with a light grey colour to show some contrast. I then created another box underneath, but made it slightly thicker this time and filled it with a bright red. This created a vibrant strip round the engine and really highlighted this part of the ship to make it stand out. 

On the bottom of the image, I created another box that stretched across the image which I made a dark grey colour. I then made another box that was thinner and black. This made a strip at the back of the engine. I wanted to add more detail to this so it looked like it had strips of metal and detail going around it. I simply did this by getting the 'Line' tool, making sure it was quite thin, and then drawing small lines vertically within the black line. I did this a couple of times before merging the layers and then copying and pasting them and so on, several times until the entire black box was filled evenly. 

After this, I went on to create two thin boxes across the image horizontally, that were above the two bottom boxes. I made one line black and the one above a brightish red colour, just to add a little more detail. 

The last thing I went on to create was some vertical boxes either side of the image, that would stretch along the cylinder to add to the mechanical feel. I did this by getting the 'Box' tool and selecting a dark grey colour.  I then positioned the box evenly in the middle of the open space, on the left hand side. I copied and pasted this two times so that I had three boxes spaces evenly on the left side. 

I went on to add some detail to the boxes. On the one closest to the edge, I created four thin, light grey lines using the 'Line' tool; two at the top and two at the bottom. For the other two boxes, I drew A smaller, light grey box within them. I then merged all the layers together into one and copied and pasted it in order to create the right hand side. Once pasted, I rotated the layer using the option 'Transform - Rotate' from the top menu, and rotated it 180 degrees. I made sure to position the layer as far right as possible so that it matched and was aligned to the other side. 

Here is what the final texture looks like:



Here is what the texture looks like on the model:


No comments:

Post a Comment